October 18, 2010

"the wedding dress"..... or perhaps "the dress I wear to others weddings"









This is my "other people's wedding, dress"....if that makes sense. I made it for a wedding in 2009 and recently wore it to a Brazilian/German wedding in Blankanese, Hamburg. It was a beautiful wedding where many languages, namely Portuguese, German and English could be heard through out the night. 

When developing garments, fabrics may dictate what I create or the pattern may be the primary source of inspiration. In this case it was the fabric. I saw it at a fabric store and instantly knew that I needed to create a dress! I decided to utilise the symmetrical pattern within the bodice and then use the floral pattern for the skirt section. The bodice is from the burdastyle pattern, heidi dress variation. I then folded the skirt section on the bodice. 

I am really happy with how this dress turned out. I even like the lining that I used. I don't think you can quite see the colour of the lining, but it is a light olive green and it works perfectly with the brown's and creme's. 

Photos: Michael Dooney 


4 comments:

  1. Love this dress! You wore it with my Siren shoes (aka "boat shoes") when you went to the wedding in Australia. I remember when you had just bought the fabric and showed me ... lets just say I was "iffy" about the colours and print. Then you whipped this beautiful dress up!!! Its very flattering, one of my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful fabric and beautiful dress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh! I just found your blog via burdastyle & love everything I've looked at so far! this dress is really truly beautiful. the geometric/floral combination on the fabric is quite amazing- easy to see why you snapped it up so quickly!

    ReplyDelete